Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Taste & Tattle Tuesday: Mason Jar Salads

Hi Everyone! Colette here!

I know it seems like all I write about is salads (see here), but I have good reason! Salads are easy, diverse, and a good way to make sure you're getting 5 full servings of fruit and veggies a day.

This week, I want to talk about something I saw on Pinterest: Mason Jar Salads.

Here's the picture that first sparked my interest:


I got my hands on three Mason Jars and decided to give my own spin on these a whirl this week. The salads will last in the jar up to 7 days, so I made all three of mine on Sunday. The nice thing about doing the prep ahead of time is that these are super easy to grab-and-go before work or school. 

Here's what I started with to make my salads:


I decided to make three different types of salad to make sure I had some variety in my lunches for the week (variety is the spice of life, right?). I made an Asian-inspired, a Greek-inspired, and a Southwest-inspired.

Now, most of these were made with things I just happened to have on-hand. I'm already plotting what changes and additions I can make in the future to add more protein and new flavors. But here are this week's creations:

Southwest Salad in a Jar
1 oz. tortilla chips, crumbled
1/3 cup shredded jack and cheddar cheese
1/4 cup jalapeno + cilantro salsa
Carrots (julienne)
Yellow corn
Greens (50% baby spring mix, 50% baby kale)

Asian Salad in a Jar
2 tbsp. Tastefully Simply Tangy Ginger Dressing
2 tbsp. sunflower seeds
Mushrooms (sliced)
Carrots (julienne)
Greens (50% baby spring mix, 50% baby kale)

Greek Salad in a Jar
2 tbsp. Ken's Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/3 cup fat-free feta cheese
5 Kalamata olives
Tomatoes (grape, whole)
Carrots (julienne)
Mushrooms (slived)
Greens (50% baby spring mix, 50% baby kale)

I layered the salads by putting the dressing on the bottom of the jar. I topped that with cheeses and/or nuts. Then came the heartier veggies. Finally, the greens went on top (so, when you dump the jar out onto a plate, it will be on the bottom). Here's how the jars look, ready to go:

 
Do you bring lunches to school or work? What are your easy grab-and-go lunch solutions? What would you like to put in a mason jar salad? Leave your suggestions in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a "bite" of time to leave a "sweet" comment!