Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Taste and Tattle Tuesday: Pea Risotto with Scallops

Hi Everyone! Today Lauren is presenting her spin on Tyler Florence's Sweet Pea and Scallop Risotto.

For the full original recipe, click here!

1. The first step is to make the puree. Set it aside.


2. Next, I get the chicken stock or broth warming up. I also start cooking some bacon. This recipe doesn't call for bacon, but I think it adds a nice salty element. Note: if you want to make this vegetarian, use vegetable broth/stock and forget what I said about bacon.


3. Next, you'll need to prep your celery, shallots, and peas (if frozen, let thaw). I choose to add a bit more celery and shallots than the recipe calls for. I love shallots, and I like a little bit of crunch.


4.  Saute the celery and shallots in a bit of olive oil. Then, add in the rice and make sure the rice gets coated in the olive oil. Tip: I do this with my Spanish rice, too! It just makes the rice better :)


5. Once step four is done, start adding a cup of stock at a time. Once the first cup is absorbed, add another. Repeat. You may or may not use all of the stock the recipe calls for.

6. Season with salt and pepper. It's important you add a bit, taste, and then, if necessary, adjust. At first, I'm pretty light with both because you can always add more.

7. Stir in the Parmesan and butter. Tip: use any Italian cheese you like. I prefer to use Pecorino Romano.  I also add more cheese than the recipe calls for.

8. Lastly, fold in puree and whole peas. Take off heat, cover, and set aside.





If you want to add scallops, you have a few more steps. If not, you're done!

9. Make sure you pat the scallops with paper towels, and then season on both sides with salt and pepper.



10. Warm a pan that contains a bit of olive oil and butter. Remember, never put anything in a cold pan. Do not crowd the scallops and do not add too much oil. If you do the first thing, they won't cook well. If you do the second thing, they will boil/poach versus sear.

11. Do not touch your scallops until you're ready to flip them. I wait for them to look a little less translucent halfway through, and then I flip them. I suggest using a fish spatula, if you have one.

12. I let my scallops rest on a paper towel.



 Then you're ready to plate your whole meal, and voila!




It's a fairly inexpensive meal that will blow people away. It's also easy to do, so don't be scared.

If you try this, please let us know. We'd love to hear about your experience with this recipe. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a "bite" of time to leave a "sweet" comment!