Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Taste and Tattle Tuesday: Food Truck Love

Hi all! Colette here!

When Lauren and I were first brainstorming for this blog, we knew we wanted it to be a lot about our kitchen adventures, but we also wanted it to be about our real-world foodie adventures as well. I know Lauren has some amazing stories to tell us about NYC in the coming weeks, but for today, I'd like to focus our attention a wee bit closer to home and talk about my favorite SoCal food truck!

I've been trying lots of food trucks lately. It can be hard, being a pescatarian (and married to a vegetarian), since many food trucks have meat-heavy menus. But then I discovered the amazing, the incredible, the incomparable Eat At Recess.

Eat At Recess makes great food using great ingredients! Don't worry meat lovers, they have free range chicken and grass-fed beef. But, as one of their three simple rules states, Our animal products are all natural and humanely raised. Awesome, right? They ALSO have vegetarian faux-turkey, which I get quite a bit.

In addition, they have crazy fresh veggies used on their sandwiches and salads, which brings us to playground rule #2: We use local and organic produce as much as possible. I never thought the freshest, most diverse salad options I would experience locally would come from a food truck, but Eat At Recess delivers!

And, another awesome bonus about this food truck? Everything is served in 100% compostable packaging. Again, how cool is that?!?!

The truck is all school-themed as well, which makes this former professor's heart sing. Items on the menu include "The Trackstar" and "The BFF BLT." My husband's favorite is the "Green Light" (which has a spicy "Red Light" counterpart) and the "AP tots." Oooooo, the tots. I'll get there. I've tried a number of things on the menu, and my two favorites are the "Red Rover" or the "Simon Says Southwest" (both with veggie-meat instead of chicken) and the "Remedial tots."

Mmmmm. The tots. Okay, this place is KNOWN for their amazing tater tots. And let me just get this out there: I don't really like tater tots. But these? I devour them every week. The AP tots that my husband get have feta cheese and truffle oil on them (soooooo good), where the ones I get have a special spicy recess sauce, cheddar cheese, and bacon salt (which is actually vegetarian). I also add chopped jalapenos to mine.

So, if you're out and about in San Diego and see this bright yellow school bus colored food truck, it's worth being late to wherever you were going to stop and try their amazing food.

And if you don't believe my words, maybe you'll believe this:

The "Exchange Student" and Remedial Tots + Jalapenos.

Have you tried an amazing local food truck? What do you think about the food truck craze? Tell us in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a "bite" of time to leave a "sweet" comment!