Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Taste & Tattle Tuesdays: Happy 4th of July!


Hi, Everyone! It’s Lauren!


This week, our Taste and Tattle recipe has a patriotic theme. 





It’s an Italian dessert, but hey, it looks American.  We hope this recipe helps you cool off and show off this 4th of July! 

I love me some Giada De Laurentiis. She’s, like, legitimately Italian, so I always check her recipes first. 



Here is her panna cotta

Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon unflavored powdered gelatin
  • 3 cups whipping cream
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 cups assorted fresh berries

Directions

Place the milk in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes to soften the gelatin. Pour milk mixture into a heavy saucepan and stir over medium heat just until the gelatin dissolves but the milk does not boil, about 5 minutes. 



Add the cream, honey, sugar, and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Pour into 6 wine glasses so that they are 1/2 full. Cool slightly. Refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours. 

Spoon the berries atop the panna cotta and serve. 



Lauren’s side note: Do not ignore that 6 hour part. The first time I made this, I did. My guests had vanilla ice cream for dessert. I ate panna cotta for breakfast. Not ideal…for my guests. 

Now, it's your turn! Link up your favorite red-white-and-blue treats, or share ideas in the comments section below!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren and Colette,
    After following this precisely and loving it, I tried it with all whole milk (no cream), a little vanilla, a little almond extract, and a few scrunches of fresh lavender. It was really nice! Next time I'm going to try lemon juice and zest....thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a "bite" of time to leave a "sweet" comment!